Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Update on Sophia's Heart

I realize that it has been a long time since I've blogged and I know that you're all waiting in great anticipation to hear how things are going since I've been in Nashville. So....here goes.

I hit the ground running pretty much the day that I arrived in Nashville. I am working for an organization called Sophia’s Heart. We were recently given an rehabilitation hospital and we are turning it into transitional housing for displaced families. When we are finished and complete we will be able to house up to 45 families. I am the assistant program director so I have an active role in choosing what families we have the ability to help and rehabilitate (not always the fun part). Last year Nashville teachers reported 2, 177 homeless kids. That being said, there will be a lot of families that we will be unable to help. I also have a big responsibility in working out how we will do things logistically (like feed people) as we take in more people and when we get to full capacity. In addition to that I get to help develop the curriculum for the classes we will teach to the families, such as finances. 

We took in our 1st family about a month ago and they are doing great. We are going to start classes with them in about two weeks. This job has definitely been a learning experience and a bit challenging at times. However, I really enjoy it and feel blessed that God has entrusted me with such a position. I have made some incredible connections since being in this position as well as made a new friend or two. I work with an incredible team that all have such a heart for people.

On a personal note, I am working on my 30 day devotional book that I started like 3 years ago. I am close to having the 30 days completed. Upon completion of the 30 day I think I have decided that I will work on a 365 day devotional with the first goal being to get 6 months written.

That's all I really have right now. I'll try to write more in the next few weeks. I hope you are all doing well!!

Much Love,
Dallas

Front of the 77,000 square foot building

One of the rooms


One of the bathrooms set-ups. They don't all have tubs.
Private Courtyard that is completely surrounded by the building. You can't get to it from outside of the building.


This room isn't complete yet but this is an idea of how we want them to look when complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment